Monday, June 18, 2012

Interlude #3



The Coffee Cantata 

A short operatic comedy

by Johann Sebastian Bach

(Subtitled:  Schwiegt stille, plaudert nicht -- "Keep quiet, don't chatter")

Listen to Part 1 and then Part 2.
If you want to read along (German and English translation), here's the full libretto.

And here's a brief excerpt of the spry libretto (with German and English translation):

3
Recitative: Schlendrian [Bass], Liesgen [Soprano]

Continuo

Schlendrian:
 
Du böses Kind, du loses Mädchen,
You bad child, you wild girl!
Ach! wenn erlang ich meinen Zweck:
Oh! If only I could have my way :
Tu mir den Coffee weg!
get rid of coffee!

Liesgen:
 
Herr Vater, seid doch nicht so scharf!
Father, don’t be so hard!
Wenn ich des Tages nicht dreimal
If three times a day I can’t
Mein Schälchen Coffee trinken darf,
drink my little cup of coffee,
So werd ich ja zu meiner Qual
then I would become so upset
Wie ein verdorrtes Ziegenbrätchen
that I would be like dried up piece of roast goat.


4
Aria: Liesgen [Soprano]

Flauto traverso, Continuo

Ei! wie schmeckt der Coffee süße,
Ah! how sweet coffee tastes!
Lieblicher als tausend Küsse,
Lovelier than a thousand kisses,
Milder als Muskatenwein.
smoother than muscatel wine.
Coffee, Coffee muss ich haben,
Coffee, I must have coffee,
Und wenn jemand mich will laben,
and if anyone wants to give me a treat,
Ach, so schenkt mir Coffee ein!
ah!, just give me some coffee!


5
Recitative: Schlendrian [Bass], Liesgen [Soprano]

Continuo

Schlendrian:
 
Wenn du mir nicht den Coffee lässt,
If you don’t give up coffee,
So sollst du auf kein Hochzeitfest,
you won’t be going to any wedding
Auch nicht spazierengehn.
and you won’t go out walking either.

Liesgen:
 
Ach ja!
Alright then !
Nur lasset mir den Coffee da!
Just leave me my coffee!

No comments: