Monday, October 29, 2012

Cracks in the wall...





About her poignant song Western Wall, which she wrote in 1996, Rosanne Cash (daughter of Johnny Cash) wrote:

"I went to Israel a few times in my youth, and I remember standing in front of the Wailing Wall—I loved the whole idea of writing a prayer on a tiny piece of paper and putting it into a crack in the wall, and believing that someone or something is going to receive that prayer. It’s a powerful idea."

The song's intrinsic beauty is perfected almost painfully in its 1998 interpretation by Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt:


Lyrics:
 
I stand here by the Western Wall maybe a little of that wall stands inside of us all.  
I shove my prayers in the cracks I got nothing to lose No one to answer back.
All these years I've brought up for review I wasn't taught this, but I learned something new I had to answer a distant call.

At the Western Wall I've got a heart full of fear and I offer it up on this altar of tears.
Red dust settles deep in my skin I don't know where it stops and where I begin.
 
It's a crumbling pile of broken stones it ain't much but it might be home if I ever loved a place at all it's the Western Wall.

I don't know if God was ever a man But if She was, I think I understand Why He found a place to break His fall near the Western Wall.
 
Speaking of Israel, prayer and powerful ideas: 

The new [update: former] Egyptian President, a Muslim Brotherhood fanatic (i.e., an ordinary Muslim) supported enthusiastically by Obama, was caught recently in a fervent prayer group praying along with the Friday sermon delivered by Egyptian cleric Futouh Abd Al-Nabi Mansour:

"Oh Allah, absolve us of our sins, strengthen us, and grant us victory over the infidels. Oh Allah, destroy the Jews and their supporters. Oh Allah, disperse them, rend them asunder. Oh Allah, demonstrate Your might and greatness upon them. Show us Your omnipotence, oh Lord...."

We are seeing cracks in the wall, indeed -- but whether they portend the fall of the House of Islam (along with its supportive occupier of the White House), or the fall of the West, or the fall of the PC MC paradigm, we may pray for an answer and think we've not been heeded, when all along our Creator is expecting us to use the brains, and heed the heart, He gave us.

No comments: